Turn your Valentine’s Day from Ordinary into Extraordinary : menu + decor tips from Great Performances’ Josh Tierney
Mae Mae Café Pasta with Kale and Sausage
Spicy Vegetarian Chili
Sylvia’s Table Meringue Kisses
Tequila and Lime Chicken Skewers
1. Create a dramatic and romantic atmosphere by buying inexpensive candles in bulk – with varying heights and widths – so you can fill your space with the warm glow of hundreds of flickering candles. Cover every surface with candles to make a bold and beautiful statement.
2. Stop in to your local bodega or corner market and buy several dozen of their inexpensive rose bouquets. At checkout, have the store bundle all of the bouquets together to create one huge assortment of bright red roses. By skipping the florist and taking this semi-DIY approach, you can make a giant bouquet for a small investment.
3. Rethink the usual reds and pinks and use deep purples and golds to create a more dramatic and sophisticated table. Adding in a touch of black lace ups the ante with a seductive flare.
4. Be playful with your centerpieces – a collection of ostrich feathers on the table are a light and seductive accent for the evening.
1. Instead of simply giving a gift, design a special treasure hunt for your special someone. Incorporate each course of the meal by hiding clues under plates or with certain dishes – get creative!
2. If you don’t have time to cook a full meal, you can still make the evening special by setting a beautiful and simple table – don’t forget the candles! – and ordering in from your favorite takeout restaurant. This way you don’t have to worry about dishes and will have more time for a relaxing and romantic evening together.
About the Guest Author: Great Performances is New York City’s premier catering company spearheading the evolving “food as fashion” movement. The company is known for incorporating seasonal ingredients into its delicious, innovative and beautifully designed food presentations. Counting many of the city's most high-profile cultural institutions and landmark properties as clients, such as Sotheby's, The Plaza, Asia Society, BAM, and Dizzy's Club Coca-Cola (at the Home of Jazz at Lincoln Center), Great Performances is the only New York City caterer to own and operate its own 60-acre organic farm, Katchkie Farm, in Kinderhook, NY.
Images Credits for Decor Ideas: Purple and Gold Place Setting via fabyoubliss.com, Ostrich Feathers, Roses from Market via kimberlytaylorimages.com
this post contains an affiliate link